Monday, January 26, 2015

Vegan Mexican Fiesta



So I am pretty much OBSESSED with mexican food. Give me some chips & guac any time of the day and I'll be the happiest girl in the world.

Mexican food can be super oily, heavy, and fatty, and that's why I like to make my own. I probably make a burrito bowl, quesadillas, nachos, or chips with guac & salsa at least once a week. There are so many healthy, plant based, & easy ways to get your Mexican food fix that there is no reason not to! (Unless you hate Mexican food of course)

Whenever I eat Mexican food, the one thing I always need to have to go along with my meal is a bowl of tortilla chips. My favorite brand is "Food Should Taste Good"; their chips are all natural, gluten free, multigrain, non-GMO, organic, and most importantly, crunchy and delicious! Can tortilla chips get any better than that?! I dont thinks so! My second favorite brand of tortilla chips are "Way Better"; their sweet potato tortilla chips are to die for!


When I'm in the mood for a light snack or lunch, I usually just make homemade guacamole and different types of homemade salsas and eat them with tortilla chips. If I want something more filling, I make a burrito bowl using cooked brown rice, chopped romaine lettuce, grilled tempeh or tofu, & top it with my homemade guacamole and salsas. If I want to go full out and eat a burrito, I just stuff all of these ingredients in an Ezekial sprouted tortilla. If I'm in the mood for some nachos, I top some tortilla chips with vegan cheese, bake them in the oven for a few minutes, and eat them with my guacamole and salsa. And if I want a quesadilla, I just toast an Ezekial sprouted tortilla with some vegan cheese & eat it with my guacamole and salsa. The possibilities really are endless, and that's why I thought I'd share with you all the recipe for my homemade guacamole and salsas. They are easy to make, healthy, nutritious, immensely flavorful, and are a great addition to any Mexican dish.



 Rachel's Homemade Guacamole

  • 1 whole ripened Hass Avocado
  • juice from 1/2 of a lime
  • salt, pepper, garlic powder, turmeric powder, and cayenne pepper to taste (the amount varies depending on personal preference)
  • Mash avocado, mix in with rest of ingredients, and serve- yes, it really is that easy!
Rachel's Corn & Black Bean Salsa
  • 1/2 cup frozen corn
  • 1/2 cup cooked black beans
  • 1/4 purple onion (chopped)
  • 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • juice from 1/2 of a lime(optional)
  • garlic powder, paprika, salt & pepper to taste
  • fresh cilantro to garnish
  • Warm up corn & black beans, mix all the ingredients together, and enjoy!
Mango Salsa
  • 2 huge handfuls baby tomatoes (grape, cherry, mini heirloom) chopped
  • 1/2 fresh mango chopped
  • salt & black pepper to taste
  • juice from 1/2 lime
  • fresh cilantro to garnish
  • Mix all ingredients together and enjoy





















I hope you all enjoy these delicious, nutritious, and easy to make salsas and guacamole! The only other thing you need is a margarita and you can be in heaven for a little while...

xxx
Rachel

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great recreation of a delightful Mexican meal, without the oil and fatty components that some people are trying to avoid nowadays. Well, this much healthier version of salsa and guacamole looks as delicious as their authentic version. Thank you for sharing!

    Diane Baker @ Alejandra’s Restaurant

    ReplyDelete