Sunday, September 14, 2014

Coconut Fig Jam


So my parents are SLIGHTLY obsessed with jam, and they pretty much own every flavor of jam out there at all times (apricot, strawberry, orange, mixed berry, and even fig). Since they usually eat bagels or toast every morning, they usually have jam almost every morning.

I never eat jam, but I decided to look at the ingredients of these jams they love so much, and let me tell you, I was a bit scared and confused. "Fruit juice concentrates, pure cane sugar, malic acid, citric acid, absorbic acid, and natural flavor" were just a few of the ingredients listed. All of them claim that they don't use "preservatives or artificial flavors", yet there are so many unnecessary ingredients in them. I am always skeptic about any ingredient with the name "natural flavor", because if it really is "all natural", you should be able to spell it out. As well, why use fruit juice "concentrate" when you can just use a whole fresh fruit? Fruits are sweet enough as they are, so why add so much unnecessary sugar? And I understand that these companies need to use preservatives to keep their jams from spoiling, since they aren't kept in the fridge section, but why not take out the preservatives, really use ALL natural ingredients, and keep them in the fridge? 

I could go on and on, but basically, I decided to make my own fresh jam without any cane sugar, preservatives, or "natural flavors"; I really did use ALL natural ingredients. And guess what? It literally took me five minutes to make! I let my mom try it this morning and she said it came out perfect; If I have HER stamp of approval, than I'm sure I'll have yours too!




Fig & Coconut Jam
  • 5 huge frozen green figs (I got mine from Trader Joes)
  • 1 tbsp agave
  • 2 tbsp shredded coconut
  • 1/5 tbsp coconut sugar
First, chop up the figs into little pieces and let simmer in a pan on medium heat. Smash them down as they begin to melt, add in the rest of the ingredients, and let simmer. When you reach your desired consistency (I like leaving little chunks in there), pour in a jar and refrigerate until cool. Enjoy!






xxx
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment