Monday, July 28, 2014

Vegan Coconut Curry over Brown Rice





When I was younger and didn't care about how I ate at all, I would go out to a Thai Food restaurant with my parents every Wednesday. I would usually always get the spicy Thai coconut milk soup or a chicken curry dish with white rice. Ever since then, I don't remember craving curry or ever wanting to eat it.

When I discovered my new favorite restaurant, True Food Kitchen, at the Third Street Promenade a few months ago, I decided to try their Panang Curry dish, and ever since then I've been OBSESSED. I crave it all the time and always get it for dinner after work.

Today, I was craving it once again, but decided to make my own. I was extremely happy with the results- It's simple to make, fills you up quickly, and is delicious! Hope you enjoy it:)

Recipe:

Curry Sauce


  • 3/4 cups light coconut milk
  • 1 minced garlic clove
  • thinly sliced fresh ginger (as much as desired)
  • chili flakes (as much as desired)
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 tsp agave
  • 1/4 tsp curry powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda to thicken
Stir-fried veggies
  • broccoli
  • 1/4 thinly sliced white onion
  • 2 sliced carrots
  • 6 sliced mushrooms
  • 1 sliced celery stalk
  • 5 snap peas
  • 3 sliced tomatoes
  • 5 small lightly steamed potatoes
  • 6 raw tofu cubes
  • cooked brown rice
  • 1 minced garlic clove
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • sweet paprika (as much as desired)
  • 1/4 tsp minced ginger

Instructions:
 Mix all of the ingredients of the coconut curry sauce in a pot and let cook on a low flame. In a separate pot, cook brown rice on a low flame. In a separate pan, steam all of the veggies, tofu, and potatoes with a touch of water, and season with salt, pepper, garlic, ginger, and sweet paprika. Add in 1/3 of the curry sauce and let cook on a low flame. Once veggies are cooked to your liking, serve over brown rice, and pour the rest of the curry sauce over it (or less if you don't like it as watery). Top with cashews and macadamia nuts if desired and enjoy! :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment