Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Homemade Gluten Free Bread





For those of you who know me, you know that I don't eat a gluten-free diet; I eat a ton of healthy whole grains, including whole grain bread, whole wheat rolls, brown rice, granola, etc. With that being said, I do have days/weeks where I feel like completely cutting gluten out of my diet. Cutting most gluten products isn't necessarily hard, since all of my homemade granolas are gluten free, the oats I use for my oatmeal are gluten free, and I don't eat that much rice. The only thing that IS hard for me is cutting out the whole grain bread, since it's almost impossible to find a gluten-free bread that tastes very good, and I am in LOVE with bread.

My favorite gluten-free bread of all time is the one at Urth Caffe, and I always buy some to take home with me when I have the chance; however, I hardly ever have the time to drive all the way there just for bread, and when I'm in the area I usually just forget.

At the end of last week, I was feeling kind of sluggish and decided to cut out gluten from my diet for a few days. I didn't have the time to get Urth Caffe's gluten free bread, so I decided to create my own gluten free bread from scratch and it turned out delicious! Whether you follow a gluten free diet or not, this bread is the perfect addition to any one of your meals. It's great in the morning with a nut butter and honey, and it's great for lunch or dinner with scrambled eggs, avocado, cheese, butter- pretty much anything! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do :)


Recipe:

  • 2 cups gluten free oat flour
  • 1/2 cup flaxseed meal 
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 tbsp hemp hearts
  • 1/4 cup raw slivered almonds (leave some to sprinkle on the top)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup liquid egg whites
  • 1/2 cup water
  • tsp baking powder
  • 1 stevia packet
  • pinch of salt
  • pinch of cinnamon 
  • handful pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds(optional)

Mix the wet ingredients with the dry. Cover baking dish with coconut oil and pour in the mixture. Top with pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds (optional) and the rest of the slivered almonds. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35-45 minutes- Enjoy!






xxx
Rachel






No comments:

Post a Comment